GET A FREE QUOTE
Frequently Asked Questions
Epoxy flooring, also known as resinous flooring or polymer flooring, is a two-part mixture consisting of resin and hardener. Epoxy is placed over concrete, wood, VCT, tile, or many other common industrial and commercial floors. The chemical reaction creates a bond to the substrate and forms a hard plastic. Plus, it cures fast so you can get back to business almost immediately. Unlike polished concrete, stained concrete, or other flooring options, epoxy floor coatings do not require regular polishing, treatment, or buffing to stay in good shape, making them a low-maintenance and cost-efficient option.
Decorative Quartz Flooring is a system in which solid or blended colored quartz aggregate is embedded in a resinous coating. This could be Epoxy, Polyurethane, MMA, Urethane Cement, or Polyaspartic. The result is an attractive and highly durable finish. It is most commonly used in:
- Locker Rooms
- Clean Rooms
- Dining Areas
- Commercial Kitchens
- Customizable to Match Any Setting. Quartz flooring granule blends are available in a variety of popular solid colors and/or premixed color combinations. You can represent the colors of your company or create a truly unique first impression by using vinyl decals to support your favorite team or company logo. .
- Texture & Durability. Another reason why our clients love our decorative quartz systems is because they can be tailored to the level of surface texture specific to their needs. Decorative quartz flooring systems are a great option for wet areas, such as showers and pool decks, or locations in need of more traction while providing great durability, such as food prep areas where oils and food particles are frequently splattered on the floor.
• In addition to their visual appeal, quartz flooring systems also offer functional advantages such as scratch resistance, UV Protection, and ease of cleaning. Fluid applied quartz flooring systems create a surface that is essentially seamless, limiting the presence of nooks and crannies where dirt and debris collect over time, potentially posing a sanitation hazard in medical or food processing facilities.
Decorative flake floor coatings consist of colored flakes suspended in a clear resin, so the distribution of flakes is truly random and organic. Decorative flakes are available in a wide range of both colors and flake sizes, making them a highly versatile and customizable epoxy flooring option. Floor coatings containing natural mica flakes can provide a beautiful, elegant appearance similar to granite floors, but without the high costs of installation and maintenance. Brightly colored flakes can be used to create a vibrant, modern look or promote spirit by using the colors of a mascot, logo, or sports team. You can create a visual impact by selecting multiple colors and designing a pattern of your choice. Flake flooring is a great option when concrete surfaces need a much-needed boost. Stained, old, tired-looking concrete will benefit from the application of flake floor coating, improving its appearance and durability. Even better, it offers a stain, scratch, and chemical resistant surface. Similar to decorative quartz flooring it can be applied with no joints, resulting in a seamless application. The combinations are endless!
- Residential Setting: Basements, garages, and workspaces; places that undergo a lot of stress and constant activity.
- Commercial Settings: Hospital floors, retail stores, commercial kitchens, and showrooms.
- Industrial Settings: Warehouses, machine shops, factories, and any high traffic zones.
The cost of applying a decorative epoxy flooring system will depend on the size of the area you want to be coated and the current condition of the concrete. To price your project correctly, you as the client have a responsibility of providing the correct information by letting us (the contractor) know if there are cracks, stains, previously installed floor coatings, or delamination in the concrete as a result of wear and tear. This will need to be factored into the time required to prep before the coating is applied.
Self-leveling concrete is a fast, advanced hydraulic cement-based, cost-effective solution whenever you need to repair, smooth, or raise a floor. Self-lever is a cementitious mixture much like concrete, but unlike concrete, it flows easier and sets up much faster. The product is mixed with water, pumped, or poured into place and spread evenly with a gauge rake. Once it’s spread out, it continues to flow evenly and levels itself out. Depending on the product, it may be smooth and flat within 1-2 hours. In about 6 hours, it may be completely hardened and ready for use, depending on the flooring material being installed on top. Self-leveling concrete can be used as an underpayment for tile, carpet, epoxy, or other floor coverings. Self-leveling concrete is more expensive gallon-for-gallon because of the added cost required to create it. It can be applied from 1/8” to 5” when extended with pea gravel in a single application. However, this versatile substance can often be used instead of demolishing damaged concrete and replacing it.
- Flat Floors:
A flat floor is one that doesn’t have any major high or low points. This means there are no spots that sit significantly above or below the rest of the surface. When a surface is described as a flat floor, it does not necessarily mean its leveled and vice versa. Floors typically need to be flattened when a significant ridge develops in the concrete subfloor. This can occur due to a poor installation job or natural shifting in the foundation. High and low spots in the floor are usually ground down or removed by building the area back up with patching or self-leveling material.
- Level Flooring:
The concrete surface layer must be stable, solid, and leveled. If the subfloor is uneven, with dips, ripples, or waves, this irregularity will be telescoped through to the surface floor covering and can even cause the flooring installation to fail.
Polished concrete flooring turns dull and raw looking concrete into a shiny surface that is smooth and elegant. This result is achieved through a process of mechanically grinding, honing, and polishing the concrete floor with abrasive. If installed properly and taken care of, polished concrete floors can last for decades. Many colored stains and finishes could be applied to a concrete floor in order to match any home or office decor. All that polished concrete needs is frequent dry mopping to eliminate any dust or dirt that might take away the sheen and clarity of the finish. Depending on the foot traffic the floor can be wet mopped with warm water every night or cleaned weekly by using a pH-neutral cleaner that is not so harsh or aggressive. In addition, in order to avoid stains, you will need to make sure to wipe any spills immediately. Here we will look into the three main types of polished concrete finishes.
- Matte (light grind) – For a more natural and hazier look, you can go for a quick grind and seal. It won’t show much of the stones, nor much clarity and reflection, but the maintenance is quite easy because dust won’t attract so much attention.
- Satin (semi-gloss) – The satin finish creates a clearer look. However, the reflection is still not very sharp. Satin polished concrete floors are still relatively easy to maintain and in addition hold some sheen that is lacking in the
matte option. Semi-gloss is perhaps the most popular choice when it comes to warehouse and retail spaces. • High gloss (high-polishing) – Here, sharp mirror-like reflection and clarity are present. It exposes more of the stones in the substrate and creates a shinier, more luxurious, and colorful appearance. It is slightly harder to keep the surface spotless all the time since everything shows perfectly. Nonetheless, this choice is preferred by many high profiled homeowners, high rises, and tech companies because of the stunning results.
Concrete has quickly become a preferred flooring option because of its high-traffic durability and substantial cost savings. Even more importantly, Polished Concrete is desirable because of its environmental benefits as a LEED qualified finish when low or no VOC sealers are used. More and more builders are choosing decorative finished concrete over tile, vinyl and even wood floor coverings.
Majestic Finish Concrete Coatings will help you achieve the polished concrete flooring you desire. We offer both topical polishing overlay systems and dry mechanical polishing options depending on the budget, setting, and overall look you wantyou’re your home or business. We also offer decorative concrete elements such as integral color dyes, transparent concrete stains, or stencils to help you achieve your design goals.
Benefits of Polishing Concrete:
- Stain Resistant
- Improves reflectivity, reduces energy consumption
- Improves condition of old floors
- Increases slip resistance
- Easy to maintain
- Safety…it may look like marble, but a polished concrete floor achieves a dynamic coefficient of friction >0.50 or higher and is naturally more slip resistant than most other floor solutions.
- Durability…the polishing process utilizes industrial diamonds to transform your concrete floor into a “polished stone”. Densifiers are used along with penetrating stain guards to permanently seal your floor, making it a very robust solution.
- Eco-friendly…by polishing your floor, the natural “dusting” that occurs from open concrete is permanently eliminated, helping to improve air quality while reducing cleaning costs. The natural reflectivity that polished concrete produces helps to reduce the amount of lighting required, thus decreasing energy consumption and carbon impact.
- Sanitary… Reduce germs, mold/mildew and other allergens that come with many other flooring options. • Cost effective…the cost to install polished concrete is very competitive with any other flooring option, and in many cases costs less on an initial cost basis. When life cycle (maintenance/replacement) costs are considered, polished concrete is typically 20% to 40% more economical as compared to LVT, ceramic tile, hardwood flooring or other engineered flooring products. Since polished concrete never has to be demolished, land fill costs are zero!
- Beauty… did we mention how beautiful, polished concrete can be! Check out our gallery, and you will see that the design options for Polished Concrete are endless.
The durability and performance of polished concrete makes it a winning choice for retail stores, factory floors/warehouses, office facilities, schools, and municipalities. With recent advances in decorative options, homeowners are making the choice towards these beautiful, high-luster floors that mimic the look of polished stone or terrazzo and increase the property value.